Pages

Tuesday, January 28

Take a look...

It's in a book...Reading Rainboooooow!


If you were a child of the 80s-90s then you remember this popular PBS show starring the ever-famous LeVar Burton.  A children's story was narrated throughout the series with a lesson usually discussed at the end.  This show helped foster my love for books & sadly has been replaced by shows like the rude & annoying Spongebob Squarepants...I hope I don't ever have to subject Dane to that show.  Bleh.  I do hope to subject Dane to A LOT of books, and early.  Devin & I have already started the bedtime story routine, one that both of us were a part of growing up.  I want him to love reading as much as his mama.  Now, his daddy - well I would like to have words with whoever taught him comprehension strategies.  As in he has none.  But, he does do the dishes...and all of the laundry.

Back to books.  I love them.  From the elementary years with my nose in The Boxcar Children, to The Babysitter's Club (who didn't want to be JUST like Stacy??), to being obsessed with Twilight & The Hunger Games, to crying through a memoir or a biography, I love them all.  Lately I have seen people list their Top 10 favorite books on facebook, so I thought that would transfer to a fun blog post.  I don't have as much time to read now, but if I have an extra 15 minutes here & there, that is probably what you will find me doing.  So, in no particular order...

* Bloom by Kelle Hampton: easily creeping up to my favorite book of all time.
* Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen: just magical.
* Columbine by Dave Cullen: a whole new perspective on this tragedy.
* The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks: it's a given.
* Twilight/The Hunger Games series: haters can hate, but long live Katniss & Bella.
* Love The One You're With by Emily Giffin: fiction, but makes you remember the reason why you chose The One.
* Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: recent fave, & swooning over Ben Affleck as the mysterious Nick.
* The Power of a Positive Mom by Karol Ladd: I recently read this & the whole book is pretty much highlighted. Really its full of good advice on how to be a positive person...not just a positive mom.
* My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult: My first Picoult book & the only fictional story that actually made my heart ache.
* The Help by Kathryn Stockett: very few movies are as good as the book & this one is close.

Books that are on my list to read:
Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman
Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Divergent series by Veronica Roth (just because I'm a teeny bopper at heart)

What are some of your favorites?  What should I add to my list?

"Everyone is a reader...some just haven't found their favorite book yet." ~ unknown

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! I just finished 29 Gifts in 29 Days, it was amazing and I usually do not care for non-fiction. Sycamore Row by John Grisham was amazing! I am currently reading Lowland, it had a bit of a slow start but has really picked up. Yes, you must read the Divergent series, I am right there with you on the teeny bop books:-) Love ya, kisses to sweet Dane for me!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day!